1. Both might require the purchase of a new car or house to accommodate them.
2. Both might require taking on a second job so that you can afford the new house, the new car, the cello, cello lessons, and other baby-specific and cello-specific expenses.
3. Both are made of all natural materials.
4. Both should be transported carefully, in the back seat, with a seatbelt, and never in the trunk.
5. Both are sensitive to temperature changes, and get cranky and out of tune if the temperature is not just right.
6. Both elicit frequent comments from complete strangers.
7. A cello is already the size of a small, rotund adult. A baby will most likely become a rotund adult.
8. When traveling on an airplane or on a train, both sometimes require their own tickets. *See number 2.
9. Both should be kept clean, free of dust, and away from harsh chemicals.
10. Both have distinct voices.
11. Both should be held close to your heart.
12. Both should be carried very carefully to avoid nicks, cuts and bruises, which can and do appear if either of them gets caught in a door or hits their head on a pipe in the ceiling at a parking garage.
13. Both of them should be adequately dressed or covered, especially when walking around outside. *See numbers 5, 9 and 12.
14. Both are two of the most amazingly beautiful creations on earth.
15. Both are desirable targets for thieves and/or kidnappers. *See number 14.
16. At first, you will feel completely inept as the caretaker of either a baby or a cello. *See all of the above.
17. Your social circle will simultaneously expand and diminish as you meet new parents and other musicians, and lose friends who can't relate to your new obsession with all-things-baby and/or all-things-cello. *See number 6.
18. On some days you will feel frustrated and want to walk away from both, but you know that if you stick around, things will get better. *See number 16.
19. Both challenge you to learn, say and do things you'd never thought possible.
20. The moment a cello or a baby enters your life, it will change forever, and you will wonder why you bothered to wait so long to welcome either one into your home. *See numbers 1, 2, 14 and 16.